Visiting the UK as a standard visitor: when you can extend your stay

You may be able to extend your stay if you are allowed to stay in the UK for less than 6 months. You can extend your stay up to a total of 6 months.

You can only request a stay in the UK for more than 6 months if you are:

  • a patient receiving medical treatment
  • an academic and you still meet the eligibility conditions
  • a graduate taking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or do a clinical internship

You must apply for an extension of stay and pay the £ 993 fee regardless of your nationality.

You must apply while you are still in the UK and before your current visa or authorization expires.


It costs:

  • £ 993 to extend your stay as a standard visitor
  • Extra £ 800 if you use the super priority service

You also need to pay £ 19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.

If you have permission to be in the UK for less than 6 months

You may be able to extend your stay as long as the total time you spend in the UK does not exceed 6 months. You must meet the eligibility requirements and pay the £ 993 fee.

For example, if you have been in the UK for 3 months, you can request an extension of stay for an additional 3 months. This applies if you needed a visa to visit the UK and also if you did not need one.

If you need to stay longer for medical treatment

If you are already in the UK, you can request an additional 6 month stay if you:

There is no limit on the number of times you can extend your stay. It costs £ 993 each time you extend.

Documents you must provide

You should ask a UK registered doctor or NHS consultant to provide you with details of your condition that requires further treatment.

If you are undergoing treatment at an NHS hospital under a reciprocal health care agreement, you will need to provide another authorization form from your country’s government stating that they will pay for your treatment.

If you need to stay longer as an academic

If you are already in the UK and have a visitation permit for less than 12 months, you can apply for a stay of up to 12 months in total.

Your partner and children can also request to stay for up to 12 months. They must have their own app and each pay the £ 993 fee.

You must prove:

  • are highly qualified in your area of ​​expertise, for example you have a doctorate or higher
  • were working in this area of ​​expertise at an academic institution abroad prior to your arrival in the UK
  • do not hold a permanent teaching position

If you are an academic, but not a senior doctor or dentist, you must also prove that you are visiting for research or a formal exchange.

If you are a senior doctor or dentist, you must also prove that you are visiting for research, clinical practice, formal exchange, or teaching.

If you need to stay longer to resume PLAB test

If you are already in the UK, you can request an extension of stay up to 6 months to take over the PLAB test.

You must provide written confirmation from the General Medical Council that you are resuming the test.

If you want to do a clinical attachment or dental observer position

If you pass the PLAB test, you can request to stay longer for an unpaid clinical internship or dental observer position.

You can stay in the UK for up to 18 months in total.

You must provide written confirmation:

  • of your clinical internship offer
  • that you have never completed a clinical internship in the UK before

You should not treat patients.

Prove your identity and provide your documents

When you apply, you will be asked to make an appointment with a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service (UKVCAS) point of service to provide your biometric information (your fingerprints and a photo).

You will also need to submit supporting documents proving your eligibility. You can:

  • upload your documents to the online service
  • have them scanned at your UKVCAS appointment

You must not travel outside of the UK, Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man until you have made a decision. Your request will be withdrawn if you do so.

Apply to extend your stay as a standard visitor

Once you have started your request, you can save your form and complete it later.

Apply now

Continue your application

You can reconnect to your app if you registered it. Check your email and follow the link to get back to your request.

Get help applying online

You can get help filling out the online form if you:

  • don’t feel comfortable with a computer or mobile device
  • not have internet access

You can only use this service if you request an extension of your stay in the UK.

You cannot get immigration advice through this service.

How long does it take to make a decision

If you are using the standard service, a decision will usually be made within 8 weeks of providing your supporting documents and proof of your identity.

If you are using the super priority service, a decision will be made:

  • before the end of the working day following your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is on a weekday
  • 2 working days after your UKVCAS appointment if your appointment is the weekend

Working days are Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays.

Once you have received your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.

You will be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example:

  • whether your supporting documents need to be verified
  • if you need to attend an interview
  • due to your personal situation (for example if you have a criminal conviction)

Once you have applied, you can stay in the UK until a decision is given to you, as long as you have applied before your authorization to be in the UK expires.

Previous 27 Degrees - Behind Closed Doors
Next The red list will be reduced TODAY

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.