Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam. (Government photo)
The cabinet is expected to set July 18 as the first day of the no-confidence debate prompted by the opposition’s no-confidence motion, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said on Monday.
He said the motion had been accepted by the House of Representatives to be placed on the Orders of the Day and that the House had asked the government to decide on appropriate dates for the debate.
The cabinet would make the decision at its meeting on Tuesday. Government and opposition whips could then meet to determine how many days the debate should last, Wissanu said.
Asked if the start date would be July 18, as previously speculated, Mr Wissanu said it was likely as there were public holidays the previous week.
The opposition no-confidence motion targets Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and 10 other cabinet members.
Chief Opposition Whip Sutin Klangsang said he needed at least four days to toast the 11 ministers.
Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said the opposition wanted as many days as possible for the debate, not because they had strong evidence against cabinet ministers, but to use the House of Representatives as a forum to campaign for votes before the general election.
He said the opposition should focus more on the content of the debate than the number of days, and should clearly point out the government’s shortcomings with solid evidence, not rhetoric or sarcasm.
The opposition had said it planned to give knockouts and submit a request to the National Anti-Corruption Commission to investigate the prime minister and some other ministers for corruption.
Mr Thanakorn said the government was ready to clarify any issues that might be raised by the opposition.