Brief | National | hastingstribune.com



Texas abortion ban to last until at least December hearing

Most abortions in Texas will be banned at least until early December, after a federal appeals court in New Orleans on Thursday said it would uphold a trial judge’s ruling blocking the law on ice until the issue is addressed in a related challenge.

The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals has scheduled oral arguments for the week of December 6 as part of a challenge to the law brought by clinics and reproductive rights advocates.

In a split decision, the appeals panel rejected a U.S. request to suspend Texas law on the court challenge for the same reasons other court judges denied the clinics’ request.

Texas bans abortions after about week six of pregnancy, before most women realize they are pregnant.

Judges appointed by former Presidents Donald Trump and George W. Bush sided with Texas in the latest decision, while a person named by Bill Clinton dissented.

Gunman to plead guilty in Stoneman Douglas mass shooting and prison assault case

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – Parkland School shooter Nikolas Cruz will plead guilty to 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder, sources confirmed Thursday evening.

He also pleads guilty in the prison assault case set to begin next week, the South Florida Sun Sentinel has learned.

WSVN-TV broke the news of the mass appeals on Thursday afternoon, citing anonymous sources. The Broward Public Defender’s Office, which represents the confessed shooter, has neither verified nor disputed the report, which sources confirmed to the Sun Sentinel. Lawyers for the case are due to appear in a pre-trial hearing on Friday morning before Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer.

Sources say Cruz will not be there on Friday and the guilty pleas will be recorded at a later date.

Prosecutors from the Broward State Attorney’s Office questioned defense attorneys. “No plea deal has been reached with our office,” spokeswoman Paula McMahon said.

Cruz has already offered to plead guilty, but only in exchange for a life sentence. Prosecutors are pushing for the death penalty, saying Cruz’s fate should be decided by a jury made up of his peers, not lawyers.

Guilt was never seriously questioned, although defense lawyers kept their trial strategy a secret. There had been no official indication of plans to pursue an insanity defense, and the only other way to remove the death penalty would be for the defense to somehow persuade the jurors to convict Cruz. for a less serious charge, such as second degree murder. .

—South Florida Sunshine Sentinel

Cher wants her Sonny and Cher royalties, and she sues Bono’s widow to get them

LOS ANGELES – Call it a Cher fight.

Cher is suing Sonny Bono’s widow for royalties on songs the pop icon made famous with her ex-husband as musical duo Sonny and Cher.

Cher filed a $ 1 million federal lawsuit on Wednesday against former Rep. Mary Bono, director of the Bono Collection Trust, and others, accusing them of breach of contract.

The 75-year-old artist claimed that Bono’s fourth wife tried to end arrangements that allow Cher to own 50% of the duo’s music composition royalties, recording royalties and other assets from their marriage.

Some of the hits cited in the record include “I Got You Babe”, “The Beat Goes On”, “Baby Don’t Go”, “Little Man” and “Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)”.

The stars of “The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour” began performing together in 1964, married in 1967, and divorced in 1975. Cher became a solo superstar, achieving further hits with “If I Could Turn Back Time “and” Believe “and winning an Oscar for her role in” Moonstruck “.

Sonny Bono, who died in a skiing accident at Lake Tahoe in 1998, pursued a career in California politics as a Republican congressman in Palm Springs. Mary Bono went on to win her House seat and appeared alongside Cher at various events over the years.

Cher alleged that she and Sonny agreed to an equal division of their joint property when they settled their divorce in 1978.

At least 46 dead in Taiwan skyscraper fire

TAIPEI, Taiwan – At least 46 people were killed and dozens more were injured Thursday after a fire ravaged a multi-purpose building in southern Taiwan.

The fire broke out Thursday morning in a 13-story, 40-year-old building in Kaohsiung City.

In a statement, city firefighters confirmed the deaths of 46 people found in the building and 41 others were injured.

The upper floors of the building contained around 120 households while the lower floors were unoccupied.

Firefighters said the blaze was extinguished after more than four hours, with around 145 firefighters and 72 fire engines dispatched to the scene.

Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen called on authorities to help relocate affected families and fully investigate the cause of the blaze.

Prime Minister Su Tseng-chang said on Facebook that he visited some of the injured in hospitals in Kaohsiung and expressed his condolences to family members of the victims.

Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chi-mai bowed and apologized to the victims, affected families and the public at large for the fatal accident at a press conference Thursday night.

2021 Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

Copyright 2021 Tribune Content Agency.


Previous The last night of the Phuket vegetarian festival is ablaze with firecrackers
Next Get ready to embark on an international travel adventure with new friends from all over the world!

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.