February 16, 2022
BANGKOK- The announcement, approved at a meeting on Tuesday, said the Royal Society had offered the updated list of country names as some had moved their capitals to another city and some were added to the list, while the Company has also adjusted the transliteration of foreign words into Thai spellings.
The Society’s Dictionary of International Geographical Names committee, which includes linguistics experts and Foreign Office officials, therefore submitted the list to the Prime Minister’s Office for Cabinet approval before officially announcing the spellings. correct and updated.
Apart from Bangkok, which received the additional name of Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, here are some of the other changes:
– The capital of Italy, Rome, can also be called Roma.
– The capital of Myanmar has been changed from Yangon to Nay Pyi Taw.
– The Kingdom of Nepal was replaced by the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal.
– The State of Palestine has been added to the list of countries.
– The Thai spelling for Channel Islands (UK territory) and Saint Pierre (French territory) has also been adjusted.
On Tuesday, the Royal Society clarified on its Facebook page that it had not offered to change Bangkok’s name to Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, and insisted that both names are acceptable when it comes to the Thai capital.